Intermediate team beaten in league. Mayo Gaels 0-11 The Neale 1-11

November 8, 2018

Intermediate team beaten in league. Mayo Gaels 0-11 The Neale 1-11

A game of two halves in Abbey Park on Saturday saw our intermediate team lose out to south Mayo rivals The Neale. A fortuitous goal on the stroke of halftime proved to be the decisive score of the game for The Neale. Indeed it was the border men that started brightest with a point in the opening minutes. The home side responded positively with a point from play by Danny Burke after good work by James Fallon and Shane Vahey. The same player saw his goal effort well saved but Niall Brett pointed the resultant fifty. The same players swapped roles as Burke pointed a free after Brett was fouled. They continued their good form with three points from play, two by Burke and one from Mallie Byrne to leave the Gaels 0-6 to 0-1 ahead. The Gaels defence was dealing well with any attacks but were exposed in the twenty third minute and had to be rescued by a fine save by Paul Mannion. The Neale pointed the fifty that followed. The aforementioned Danny Burke and Niall Brett pointed from play after good work on both occasions by James Fallon to leave them 0-8 to 0-2 clear as halftime approached. With the last play of the half the Gaels defence over committed and as a result missed the ball. A shot for a point from The Neale dipped wickedly to end up in the back of the net to give them a lifeline and get them back into the game at 0-8 to 1-2 at halftime.

The Neale took up where they left off in the opening minutes of the new half with two scores from play in the opening minutes to leave the minimum between the sides. Danny Burke was unlucky to see his shot rebound down off the crossbar and bounce to safety. Burke added a point from play a minute later to leave the Gaels 0-9 to 1-4 clear entering the final third. A decision that made only sense to the ref saw The Neale fullback Donal Hughes only yellow carded for an off the ball punch. With the aid of a stiffening breeze The Neale totally dominated from here to the end. Our full back line was left exposed with fifty yards of space in front of them, a tactic that was left unchecked until the end. The Neale rattled off the next seven points including six from play to leave them 0-9 to 1-11 ahead and seal the game with five minutes remaining. Danny Burke and Naill Brett added two consolation points for the home side in injury time to leave the final score 0-11 to 1-11. Given the first half performance this will go down as a missed opportunity. They face Parke at home next Saturday at 6:30pm.
Mayo Gaels team: Paul Mannion, Noel Quinn, Anthony Byrne, Stuart McLoughlin, John Sloyan, Adrian Heneghan, Shane Vahey, Sean Boyle, Joe Walsh, Mallie Byrne (0-1), Niall Brett (0-3, 1f), Paul Walsh, Shane Lyons, James Fallon, Danny Burke (0-7, 1f). Subs: Fintan Canavan for John Sloyan, Kevin Brett for Stuart McLoughlin, Kevin Jordan for Adrian Heneghan (inj), Martin Connor for Shane Vahey.

Request a Demo

Let us show you how it works
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.