Intermediate team win playoff. Mayo Gaels 0-10 Killala 0-9

November 8, 2018

Intermediate team win playoff. Mayo Gaels 0-10 Killala 0-9
Our intermediate team maintained their intermediate championship status when they overcame a resolute Killala team on Sunday morning. Played is a supposedly neutral but splendid looking Knockmore it was a lovely morning for football. The standard of football never reached any great heights with plenty of mistakes by both sides and a terrible refereeing performance but with so much at stake the tension made it an exciting contest throughout. The Gaels started in fine style with two points from play inside the opening minute. Adam Gallagher showed the Killala defence a clean pair of heals to fire over from the throw up. A quick free by Niall Brett found Danny Burke who doubled the Gaels lead. The sides then exchanged frees with Mallie Byrne kicking the Gaels effort after a foul on Danny Burke. A Killala point from play left the minimum between the sides after six minutes 0-3 to 0-2. Good work by Paul Walsh setup Alan Morris for a well taken score to restore the Gaels two point lead. The sixteenth minute saw a controversial moment that would proof vital at the end of the game. Killala kicked what seemed to be a valid point but despite the umpire signaling a point the referee adjudged it to be wide. Joe Walsh had to be withdrawn with a knee injury and as a result Killala dominated the middle third for the remainder of the half. They hit three points on the trot including two frees to leave them two clear indeed they could have been further clear if they brought their shooting boots. Adam Gallagher responded from play for the Gaels before Killala had the final say with another free to leave them 0-6 to 0-5 ahead at halftime.
The Gaels again started the half brightly when Danny Burke scored from play. Killala continued their dominance of midfield and restored their two point lead with a point from play and a free. They also squandered a number of other chances that managed to keep the Gaels in the game entering the final quarter. Niall Brett kicked a free from the ground after another foul on Danny Burke. Brett then kicked the point of the day after great work by James Fallon to level the game with ten minutes remaining 0-8 each. Killala responded with a score from play and looked sure to be through for a decisive goal but Paul Mannion pulled off a magnificent save to keep the game alive. Martin Connor took full advantage and drove forward to draw a foul with four minutes on the clock. Niall Brett obliged with the resultant free from the ground. Entering injury time the game was there for the taking for both teams but it was the Gaels who ceased the initiative and found the resolve to land the golden score. Again Martin Connor provided the leadership to drive at the Killala defence to gain a free. Once again Niall Brett held his nerve from the ground to land the forty yard free much to the delight of the Gaels support. Killala threw everything forward in search of the equaliser but the Gaels defence held firm and didn't give away any free. The best thing referee Mel Kenny did all day was to blow the fulltime whistle and confirm the Gaels intermediate status for 2013. They still have plenty of football to play yet with league games Ardnaree away, Bonniconlon at home, Killala away and Kilmeena at home.
Mayo Gaels team: Paul Mannion, Allyn Brett, Anthony Bryne, Kevin Jordon, Noel Quinn, Adrian Heneghan, Kevin Lynch, Joe Walsh, Paul Walsh, Alan Morris (0-1), Niall Brett (0-4, 3f), Adam Gallagher (0-2), Mallie Byrne (0-1, 1f), Shane Vahey, Danny Burke (0-2). Fintan Canavan for Anthony Byrne, James Fallon for Joe Wlash (inj), Martin Connor for Noel Quinn, Shane Lyons for Mallie Byrne.

Request a Demo

Let us show you how it works
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.